Players can play as six iconic Marvel Heroes and battle nefarious villains, across an original Marvel story, right in their living rooms.
September 5, 2019: Following the successful launch of Star Wars™: Jedi Challenges, Lenovo™ and Marvel will immerse fans in one of the world’s most beloved franchises with the new MARVEL Dimension of Heroes, available only on Lenovo Mirage AR. This new smartphone-powered augmented reality experience lets players harness the powers of six legendary Marvel Super Heroes in an original story which sees them take on infamous Super Villains standing right before them in their own living rooms.
Players download the free MARVEL Dimension of Heroes app onto a compatible smartphone1,2, and with the power of the Lenovo Mirage AR headset and new dual Universal Controllers3, they can embark upon an adventure spanning three full-fledged modes and an incredible variety of augmented reality playstyles. With the new controllers3, players can use both hands4 to punch, slice and blast their way through exhilarating battles, while ducking and dodging enemy attacks, thanks to Lenovo Mirage AR’s freedom of movement.
Lenovo Mirage AR also allows continued play of the hit experience Star Wars: Jedi Challenges2, letting you use the new Universal Controller to engage in lightsaber duels, command troops in battle, and play Holochess.
An Epic New Game-playing Experience
In MARVEL Dimension of Heroes, players wield the legendary weapons and powers of Doctor Strange, Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Star-Lord against a host of augmented reality Super Villains. The game2 is playable across the following three modes:
- Play through an original Marvel story in Story Mode, in which the Dread Dormammu, Lord of the Dark Dimension, launches a surprise attack on Earth with his alliance of Super Villains, including Loki, Ronan the Accuser, Ultron Prime and the Winter Soldier. With the Earth in ruins, Doctor Strange manages to turn back time to secure a second chance to save the planet. Players assume the role of all of the game’s six playable Super Heroes to battle the interdimensional forces that threaten the world.
- Survival Mode lets players use their heroic powers, playing as any of the game’s six heroes, to fend off waves of powerful enemies. Players compete to achieve the highest score and rise up the game’s global online leaderboards.
- Finally, players can also partner up with a friend in Co-Op Mode, where they each play as a Marvel hero battling the forces of evil side-by-side in the same room, while competing against each other for high scores. (Each player must be equipped with the Lenovo Mirage AR headset, two Universal Controllers,3 a Tracking Beacon, and be connected to the same Wi-Fi network5. Each player must also download the latest version of the MARVEL Dimension of Heroes app on a compatible smartphone1,2. Players are recommended to stand side by side in the same direction, facing the Tracking Beacons about 4 feet away).
Lenovo Mirage AR
Lenovo Mirage AR consists of the Lenovo Mirage AR headset, dual Universal Controllers3, and the Tracking Beacon, offering immersive control over both MARVEL Dimension of Heroes’ array of weapons and superpowers, as well as the various modes of Star Wars: Jedi Challenges. Lenovo Mirage AR experiences can be downloaded to a variety of compatible Android™ phones and iPhones®1. Players purchasing Lenovo Mirage AR can install MARVEL Dimension of Heroes and Star Wars: Jedi Challenges2 at no additional cost on a compatible smartphone.
“Lenovo Mirage AR with MARVEL Dimension of Heroes is another milestone demonstrating Lenovo and Marvel’s shared passion for bringing rich, immersive consumer experiences to life through smarter technology. After years of close collaboration with Disney starting from Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, we’re excited to expand this incredibly fun and interactive experience for more gamers and especially Marvel fans to enjoy,” said Johnson Jia, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Business of Intelligent Devices Group, Lenovo.
Hardware and Technology
Users begin by downloading the MARVEL Dimension of Heroes app onto their compatible smartphone1 and inserting it into the tray of the Lenovo Mirage AR headset. The lightweight headset senses the user’s movements during gameplay, aided by a Tracking Beacon placed on the floor to serve as its fixed reference point in physical space.
No more sitting idly staring at a screen. Now players can engage and fight their enemies in free and natural motion through the headset’s inside-out positional tracking (enabled by two built-in fisheye sensors). The headset pairs with the Lenovo Mirage AR Universal Controllers3, which are worn over the knuckles to give players an empowering sense of control over their weapons and superpowers. The controllers3 also allow for complex hand and wrist motions that combine offensive and defensive moves, and its control buttons are dynamically adjusted to function on hold release or press, allowing for intuitive open hand gestures and control of complex artillery.4 As a result, each one of the six Super Heroes feels like a completely distinct character and playing experience, with entirely different move sets and controls.
Availability and Pricing6
- The Lenovo Mirage AR device will be available at $249.99 in the US starting September 6, 2019 on Amazon.com and Lenovo.com.6
- MARVEL Dimension of Heroes content is available to download via a compatible smartphone1 on the App Store and Google Play™ at no additional cost.2
- The Star Wars: Jedi Challenges experience is already available for download, and a free update will add compatibility for players using the new Lenovo Mirage AR Universal Controllers.2, 3
Discover more at www.dimensionofheroes.com.
Watch the lead trailer video here.
IFA 2019 press kit with images, videos and full specs are available here.
About Marvel Entertainment
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media. For more information visit marvel.com. © 2019 MARVEL
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$50 billion Fortune Global 500 company, with 57,000 employees and operating in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society. By designing, engineering and building the world’s most complete portfolio of smart devices and infrastructure, we are also leading an Intelligent Transformation – to create better experiences and opportunities for millions of customers around the world. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com, follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Weibo and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
1 Smartphone is sold separately. For a list of compatible smartphones, please visit www.lenovo.com/MirageAR. All smartphones compatible with the original Star Wars: Jedi Challenges are also compatible with MARVEL Dimension of Heroes.
2 MARVEL Dimension of Heroes and Star Wars: Jedi Challenges apps subject to availability. Some content and experiences may require a future download. Additional data rates may apply when downloading the application.
3 Dual Universal Controllers may be bundled with the Mirage AR headset and Tracking Beacon and/or purchased separately on www.lenovo.com.
4 Two-hand gameplay available only for MARVEL Dimension of Heroes.
5 Within range of the Tracking Beacon.
6 Prices do not include tax, shipping or options and are subject to change without notice; additional terms and conditions apply. On-shelf dates may vary by geography and products may only be available in select markets. All offers subject to availability. Lenovo reserves the right to alter product offerings, features and specifications at any time without notice.
LENOVO and LENOVO MIRAGE are trademarks of Lenovo. STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © & TM Lucasfilm Ltd. GOOGLE PLAY and ANDROID are trademarks of Google LLC. APP STORE and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2019, Lenovo Group Limited.